Posted by Joanna on February 27, 2020
The coronavirus (COVID-19) has been in the news and is causing great concern all over the world. Although the risk in our area is categorized as low, ASM’s Leadership Team and its Health and Safety Committee are meeting to develop contingency plans should the situation/risk/category/that change. ASM follows directives issued by the Andover Board of Health, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Be assured that ASM has protocols in place for students, staff and the physical environment. NPIs, non-pharmaceutical interventions, are part of our regular practice. They include:
- Wash hands often with soap and water.
- Always wash hands before touching eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the inside of your elbow if you do not have a tissue. Throw out the tissue and wash your hands.
- Cleaning objects/surfaces that are touched often (door knobs, light switches, toys, and phones) with EPA approved cleaners.
- Stay home from work and school if you are sick with a flu-like illness and avoid contact with others to prevent spreading the virus. Stay at home until you have been free from fever for 24 hours after your last dose of fever-reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen).
Please practice these protocols at home to ensure that your child knows how to wash his or her hands well and the proper way to cover a cough or sneeze. Additional guidelines for COVID-19 were issued today by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.